What is a Recovery Services vault?
A Recovery Services vault is a storage entity in Azure that houses data. The data is typically copies of data, or configuration information for virtual machines, workloads, servers, or workstations. A Recovery Services vault is the Resource Manager version of a Backup vault. The following new features are only available in Recovery Services vaults:
- Enhanced capabilities to help secure your backup data.
- Central monitoring for your hybrid IT environment.
- Role-Based Access Control.
- Protect all configurations of Azure Virtual Machines.
- Instant restore for IaaS virtual machines.
What does this change mean for you?
- Beginning on October 31, 2017, your classic Backup vaults will be automatically upgraded to Recovery Services vaults.
- This new and improved backup experience is included in your current subscription at no additional charge.
- There is no downtime associated to this upgrade.
What actions should you take?
- This upgrade will occur automatically, so there is no action required on your part.
- However, you also have the option of manually upgrading your Backup vault before October 31, 2017. To upgrade your Backup vault now, read the Upgrade classic Backup and Site Recovery vaults to ARM Recovery Services vaults blog post.